Performance wellness workshops: Matthew Jones
6.-7. mail kell 9.00-10.30 A-402
MATTHEW JONES (Guildhall School of Music and Drama, London)
Violist Matthew Jones Presents an overview of techniques that are of use to musicians in enhancing their wellbeing generally and specifically in relation to practice and performance, adapted to the requests of students present in the session. These can include:
- Applications of the Alexander Technique principals to music-making;
- Pre-practice stretches tailored to the needs of each instrument;
- Applicaitons of yoga principles and summary of benefits for musicians;
- Dealing with Performance Stress - the reasons for it, and strategies to deal with it, both long term (posture training, physical awareness, visualisation, mental practice) and short term (stretches, breathing techniques)
- Principles of meditation and how they can benefit musicians;
- Methods of practice to enhance speed of learning, including work on memorising, using a metronome, goal-setting, motivation etc.
Matthew is a teacher of the Alexander Technique, Kundalini yoga and meditation, and Performance Wellness Consultant, and has worked individually with more than 1600 musicians. Matthew frequently presents workshops on empowering musicians and enhancing performance, clients of which have included world-renowned conductors and soloists, world champion athletes and orchestras including the New World Symphony, Melbourne Symphony and the European Union Youth Orchestra.